Urgent care - where to turn to this Easter

Over the Easter long bank holiday and the school holidays many of us will be getting out and about as the weather hopefully improves.

Whether you are gardening, playing sport, hiking or carrying out DIY, it’s important that you know who to turn to for help if you or someone you know becomes ill or suffers an injury.

Going to A&E or calling 999 should only be an option when someone is seriously ill or severely injured, with symptoms such as severe breathing difficulties or persistent and heavy bleeding.

If urgent medical help or advice is needed, or an individual is unsure of what service they require, call NHS 111. It is a free service, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  The 111 service does not offer diagnosis over the phone; it advises and directs the individual to the appropriate service.

If your illness is not life threatening and you have been feeling unwell for a while it is likely that you may need to contact your doctor. Check with your GP surgery when they are open as most now offer evening and weekend appointments.

Not all ailments require a GP appointment; pharmacists are an excellent source of help and are fully trained to give advice for a wide variety of symptoms. This means you don’t have to spend time waiting in GP practice where you could catch other bugs and illnesses. You can find Easter opening hours for local pharmacies here.

Dr Peter Bibawy, acting Clinical Chair of NHS North East Hampshire and Farnham Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Over bank holidays and school holidays many of us take the opportunity to do odd jobs at home, visit family and friends, enjoy the great outdoors and travel abroad.

“I would urge everyone firstly to take care in what they are doing, and secondly to be sure they know where to turn if anything does happen. That way they can access the treatment they need much more quickly.”

What is a CCG?

A clinical commissioning group is an NHS organisation set up by the Health and Social Care Act 2012 to organise the delivery of NHS services in England.  It is clinically led by GPs and clinical staff who work with patients and are best placed to make decisions about local healthcare commissioning.   Find out more about the CCG

Find a local service

There is a wide range of health services available for local residents. You can the services finder below to search for a service near where you live.

Find a service

Latest News

Join the Conversation

Your local health services are asking you to ‘Join the Conversation’ on how services are designed and improved.

Read more ...

Farnham Health and Wellbeing Event

On March 23 there is a special Health and Wellbeing Event taking place at the Farnham Maltings.

Read more ...
We want to hear your feedback, so please fill out the form below.
1000 characters left

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information